Sunday 22 May 2016

OUGD603: Brief 3 Evaluation

Creating artwork and being shortlisted for the Penguin Design Award has been one of my favourite briefs this year to complete. The concept I felt was a strong idea to represent the author Caitlin’s humorous and bold personality through the illustration of Doc Marten boots that juxtapose the connotations of a Chanel styled ‘little black dress’. The use of a vivid pink and yellow colour palette was inspired by research into Punk and feminist protest. This is a strong use of colour as not only does it have strong links to the guerrilla girls and strong female art movements. Caitlin’s book is witty and filled with humorous comments but it is about revealing secrets that women keep- therefore a bold colour palette portrays this bold and non-apologetic stance of writing.

Receiving comments from Penguin’s art director gave me an insight as to what they look for in a commercial design to sell on the shelf and this allowed me to further develop my own design to fit into a commercial environment instead of just being an art piece.


Again much like the previous briefs I strived to ensure that the designs were as concise as possible by using minimal amounts of elements. As a designer I am slowly beginning to understand through completing briefs that I am enjoying designing using vectors and clean shapes. Within this brief in particular I focused on how the design would show impact. With the judges comment being that they like that the eye was drawn to the title of the book I feel I have achieved a massive amount of success just through receiving positive comments. By being shortlisted this has proved to myself that the concept I created was clearly understood by the judges and they liked my unique take on the book.

By organising and sending the various pieces of work for resubmission this taught me how to work to a professional deadline and how to send work off packaged correctly. As we were only given a short amount of time to develop our work it was rather a rush with time management but this means in the future I know what to do. By restrictions of only having one design board it has taught me to be more concise when explaining my concept/ ideas. I also worked out of university hours to be able to print the materials to send which I sourced from a printers in Leeds as this would be a quicker and more reliable option than waiting for print slots at university. 

No comments:

Post a Comment