Thursday 19 May 2016

OUGD603: Brief 4- Initial Ideas & Development


Ideas: 

- Illustrated single chilli to signify each flavour
- Pattern of multiple chilli's in the background
- Simply using typography in various sizes
- Using the ingredients to inform the design as a pattern
- Eroded/ brush stroke typography 

To start with I looked at a few different variations of typography to match the 'edgy' ethos of the chilli sauce company. 


I liked the brush strokes and textures in the type however it isn't as bold as I would like it to be to stand out on the shelf. The textured type has rough edges and isn't completely perfect but it is definitely the portrayal I want to create of the company as people who buy chilli sauce are expecting something unique and alternative. 


I edited a free font I found online above. Placing the white text on black creates a huge contrast and would be ideal for the packaging design however because the typography is so straight and flat it could look somewhat boring, therefore I tried a few experiments to test layout and shape. 


The curve of this type would work quite well the idea of chilli illustration seen in my sketches. 

I tried an edited version of this typography and mocked it up with a chilli illustration: 


From research into chilli packaging I found that the use of red/orange/ green was quite common and as a product within a supermarket Sam's needs to fit in within this environment to ensure the customers recognise what the product is. I quite like the layout of these designs as they are simple however the box at the bottom is far too clean cut and needs to become less perfect to match the typography, below you can see I have added texture to the edges. 



However from receiving feedback in a crit session it was suggested that the design looked to basic and uniform so I went back to my initial sketches to look at new ways of answering the brief. I started this process by looking at how the typography could fit into shapes (see below)




From gaining feedback the diamond shape seemed to be the most popular as it is unusual and looks like a 'stamp' which matches the grunge/ eroded typeface. However the diamond is quite clean cut so therefore to enhance the entire logo for the packaging I added a texture to the edge of the diamond to create crackled uneven edges further enhances the 'edgy' aura of the brand. 



No comments:

Post a Comment