Saturday 21 May 2016

OUGD603: Triptych Poster

Brief: 

The posters will be placed in these frames along the corridor.

Three posters will be hung for a week at the same time.
As they are likely to be seen by a lot of people, Amber has asked that content is to be kept PGish and the work to be strong as to represent the course well.
* ~ * ~ Dimensions: A1 - 594mm x 841mm (Portrait) ~ * ~ *
Colour: Full-Colour (Coz they're paying for it now)
The trio can now allow people to collaborate to create a set of three, if you want to.


.........................................................................


As this is a design that will be on the corridor of the course there is pressure to represent yourself within the design but also for it to be a strong design to represent the course. The brief is entirely open and this meant that I could express my own interests within this design. Visually as a bold statement I was thinking of creating a poster involving skulls. This is because of my love for 'day of the dead' in Mexico. It combines my love for bold colour and skull design. 


Inspiration: 

Dia de los Muertos 






Design experimentation: 

I created a few illustrations of a skull inspired by the imagery Ive seen of the Day Of The Dead festival: 


I put these into a pattern and introduced colour to represent the paintings I saw from Mexico. However I feel as though this would be a stronger design with one singular skull.




To develop this further I simplified the skulls shape and introduced triangles to full the shape to create the impression of depth to the design. I chose triangles as the name of the project is Triptych which quite simply means three and triangles have three sides. 



Choice of colours: 

The colours I chose for the design were based on which colours contrasted each other the most. The basic variation of this would be black and white. However as I wanted to introduce colour I looked at what colour had the same properties as white. Yellow has the brightest vibrancy and therefore would be the ideal choice. Contrasting small amounts of yellow with purple creates a bold impactful design. 






Final design:





In context: 




The posters have been collated into a publication for the end of year show and I am pleased with my final poster to sit within this as I believe it does portray my design practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment