Friday 20 May 2016

OUGD603: Brief 6- Research & Design Development

To understand what is culturally relevant for the label but also for inspiration I looked at photographs online of how Brazil represents themselves. It is often through the Rio De Janeiro Carnival outfits and display floats, the magnificent firework displays over the coast, colourful houses and the famous beaches. Below are a few examples for inspiration: 












From these photographs I looked at how I could apply these themes to a wine label: 


Digital experimentation: 

I started with one of the first sketches I made which was to use stripes of colour that I found in photographs, although I like the use of colour I don't feel as though this portrays brazil as it is simply just a geometric pattern. 



Again with a similar idea for colour and layout I used a black and white photograph of Rio and placed colour over the top. The context of this is more suitable however it wouldn't stand out in a shelf environment due to the dull background. 



This design is much cleaner and created on illustrator, the use of a grape vine signifies the face that it is a wine product but along with the use of bright pink and green displays the personality and vibrancy from my research. 



To push these ideas further through development I re-looked at my sketches and from critique of them my favourite idea was using fireworks as inspiration as they are well known within the carnival.  The shape of fireworks are more dynamic and interesting. Here are a few experiments using vectors: 




I made the vector in a few different line weights to experiment with the typography and layout for the hierarchy. In this design I used a serif font to link back to the traditional values of the collection wines. Therefore the design contains traditional and modern elements. 





I received critique on these designs and it was suggested to use white along with pink to balance out the colour of the layout. The white against black with a bright colour is a colour palette which really works for impact on the shelf, I saw this successful design technique within the yellow tail Australian wines. This is the final design that I will put across a set of colours to ensure it isn't too feminine by using pink. 




No comments:

Post a Comment